Meet your coach
Dr Brendan Lydon has taught at both second and third levels for the past 25 years. He has over 20 years’ experience in senior management, being a Principal of two Secondary Schools and a senior member of the management team that was seconded by the Department of Education and Skills to set up the National Behaviour Support Service.
He has vast experience in education and working with teachers and students in supporting them in fulfilling their potential. In more recent years, Dr Lydon has done further studies and postgraduate research on “the need of quality career guidance and the use of psychometric testing at second level”.
Dr Brendan Lydon
He believes that many very capable students do not achieve their full potential as they make the wrong subject/course choices and career decisions based upon not having all the facts. That is the reason why 1 in 7 students that started out in third level college last September will have drop out by the following May - this can have serious consequences to the young person to their self-confidence and not least financial. It is of utmost importance to discuss your plans to help you make the best choice possible and this starts when you are choosing the subjects for your Leaving Certificate. That is the main driving force behind Careerplanning.ie.
BA in Mathematics and Economics (91), Higher Diploma in Education (’93), MA in Economics (’95), PhD in Economics (’99) and Higher Diploma in School Development Planning (’05) from NUIG, Diploma in Management Coaching and Mentoring (’09) from London Institute of Leadership& Management, MA in Education (’11) from University of Ulster and Postgraduate Diploma in School Guidance Counselling (’17) from Maynooth University.
Member of the British Psychological Society
Member of the Psychological Society of Ireland
Member of the Institute of Guidance Counsellors
Registered member of the Teaching Council
Why does Careerplanning.ie process work so well?
We follow a step by step process, which students' find engaging, yet can be adapted, for each client, to include:
- Working with a leading supplier of careers and aptitude tests to provide insights into why students should further explore key career areas.
- Using advanced career coaching tools and techniques to help students become more aware of their unique strengths, interests and skills
- Providing strategies and tips to investigate the identified career possibilities
- Guiding students on next steps which may range from work placements, job / apprenticeship search and college or further education courses.
- Updating parents / guardians on outcomes from the consultation process along with a detailed report to guide further exploration and decision making